rəˈzilyəns/ The capacity of individuals, organizations and communities to survive and thrive in the face of stressors and shocks.
BUILDING RESILIENCE: LA
Los Angeles is a region at risk. From climate change to earthquakes, power outages to drought, we know that the future will look different from the past, and that our buildings and communities are vulnerable.
Resilience comes from the ability to be flexible, adaptable and locally connected. A sound built environment is key. So is a strong community. The green building community must take a leadership role in bringing resilience down to local level.
USGBC’s Los Angeles Chapter is creating the Building Resilience: LA system for property owners and organizations ready to incorpotate resilience into management, operations and maintenance. The system includes:
- A coalition of organizations working toward a resilient LA
- A step-by-step process for evaluating risk, engaging community and implementing integrative solutions for both for-profit and community-based organizations
- A library of technical strategies to address the unique challenges of our region
- A subscription service to provide on-going technical support, networking, training, and third party certification
- A template for adapting to other regions
- A living example of a neighborhood resilience center at SCOPE in South LA (in partnership with USGBC National, Majora Carter and Associates, and the City of LA)
“The City of Los Angeles is proud to be a part of the Building Resilience: LA coalition. Its work will make Los Angeles a stronger, healthier and more connected place to live. I thank you in advance for your support of Building Resilience: LA and I look forward to seeing the results of our work together.”
– Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
…Now you can too!
Sponsor—Join leading organizations from all sectors in making a resilient LA a reality. USGBC-LA is a 501(c)3 non-profit.
Get Involved—We are looking for highly motivated volunteers and interns to work on many aspects of our program. Students interested in developing related research projects are encouraged to apply.
Who We Are:
Building Resilience: LA is being lead by USGBC-LA and includes a broad coalition of leading experts from across the resilience spectrum, including academics, scientist, building owners, local government, architects and engineers, emergency managers and community advocates.
For more information to get involved, contact Heather Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Founding Sponsors and Partners
ARUP LACI SCOPE